Late Kindergarten Registration
Click here for more information
Board of Education Nominating Petitions Now Available
Board Member Qualifications
To qualify for membership on a school board, an individual:
• Must be able to read and write.
• Must be a qualified voter of the district.
• Must be and have been a resident of the district for a least one year prior to the election.
• May not have been removed from any school district office within the preceding one year.
• May not reside with a member of the family who is also a member of the same school board.
• May not be a current employee of the school board.
• May not simultaneously hold another incompatible public office.
Nominating petitions are available at the District Clerk’s Office, Copiague Public Schools Administration Offices, 2650 Great Neck Road, Copiague, or call 631-842-4015, ext. 501.
Nominating petitions must be signed by at least 25 qualified voters, or 2 percent of the number of voters who voted in the previous annual election of the members of the Board of Education, whichever is greater. This year, a minimum of 25 signatures is needed.
Nominating petitions for specific seats on the school board must include the candidate’s name and residence; the residences of the people who sign the petition; the vacancy to be filled, including the name of the incumbent; and the length of the term of office to be filled.
Candidates may be nominated for only one vacancy. Nominating petitions must be filed for specific seats on the board. Petitions must be delivered to the District Clerk no later than 5:00 p.m. on April 20, 2015. The first campaign contributions affidavit is also due at this time. Contribution statements are due April 20, 2015, May 14, 2015 and June 8, 2015.